In terms of Japan’s earthquake, John Piper in his blog says, “Earthquakes are ultimately from God. Nature does not have a will of it’s own. And God owes Satan no freedom. What havoc demons wreak, they wreak with God’s permission. And God has reasons for what he permits. His permissions are purposes. That’s the point of Job 1-2 and Luke 22:31-32.”
So why? Why would God send/allow this earthquake, Katrina, Haiti?
1. Because the end-time earthquakes in Revelation are means as calls to repentance. To warn people of the coming day of the Lord. To warn people of God’s wrath that is coming.
2. The end-time earthquakes in Matthew 24:7-8 are meant to be interpreted as “the beginning of the birth pangs”. To prepare us to meet Jesus face to face.
3. "God's unilateral taking of thousands of lives is a loud declaration that “The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away” (Job 1:21). The message for all the world is that life is a loan from God (Luke 12:20) and belongs to him. He creates it and gives it and takes it according to his own will and owes us nothing. He has a right both to children (2 Samuel 12:15) and to the aged (Luke 2:29). It is a great gift to learn this truth and dedicate our lives to their true owner rather than defraud him till it is too late.
4. 4.The power felt in an earthquake reveals the fearful magnificence of God. This is a great gift since “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom” (Psalm 111:10). Most of the world does not fear the Lord and therefore lacks saving wisdom. The thunder-clap summons to fear God is a mercy to those who live.
5. 5.When the earth shakes under our feet there is a dramatic sense that there is no place to flee. In most disasters the earth is the one thing that stands firm when wind and flood are raging. But where do you turn when the earth itself is unsafe? Answer: God.” (John Piper)
John 3:36 says, “Whoever trusts in the Son has eternal life. But whoever disobeys the Son will not see that life but remains subject to God's wrath."
So what are your thoughts and feelings about God’s wrath being toward a non-believer? And what specific action does that motivate you to today?
Leave a Reply.
New here? Head on over to the Home page to see what we're all about.
Two Free eBooks for Subscribers
Join 11,000+ others and get Missional Women updates and two FREE eBooks.
Are you new to our site? Check out our HOME page to get a better idea about the Missional Women ministry.