Words of affirmation and touch are my love languages so when someone says something to me affirming it means a lot. When a friend says something encouraging to me, I hear them speaking to my soul saying, "I think you're important and valuable like God says you are." I feel loved. My mom is one of the greatest affirmers with words I know. Because of her example saying kind things comes naturally to me which just recently I realized was something that doesn't come naturally to everyone. I had a friend mention she has a hard time knowing how to compliment her boys. So that got me thinking and out came this list.
Affirming people communicates respect and disarms the question, "Do they like me?" And I'm not sure if you've noticed but when people are comfortable around you, they open up and are more open to receiving what you have to say. Honest affirmation can be compared to preparing the ground to receive the seed of God's Word.
And Jesus was such a great example of affirming people. He seriously was bragging about people and their faith all the time. Remember that one time when he even bragged about the prostitute even at the offense of his host?
So here are 25 ways to affirm people. These will hopefully get the ideas rolling since there's a thousand more.
25 Ways to Affirm Others
1. I've noticed you are really good at seeing the good in situations
2. I love how you think.
3. You are so resourceful.
4. You are really good at taking initiative.
5. You are great at problem solving.
6. I love how you are so compassionate
7. You are good at being vulnerable.
8. I noticed that when you ______, that was really great boundaries.
9. Oh I love how straight-forward you are.
10. You're tender heart really is beautiful.
11. I love how good you are at putting together outfits.
12. You look stunning.
13. You sure are beautiful/handsome
14. I love your hair (or some other feature)
15. You really do a great job of taking care of yourself.
16. You are great with people.
17. I love how you are so observant.
18. I love how you are so attentive to peoples needs.
19. You are so good at knowing what to say on the spot.
20. I love how friendly you are.
21. You're walk with the Lord is inspiring.
22. Did you know that God thinks about you more than the grains of sand on the ocean floor?
23. I love your desire for truth
24. It is beautiful to see how you're trusting the Lord with ________.
25. Your faith reminds me of the kind of faith Jesus bragged about.
Did you benefit from this?
And we have a ton of other FREE stuff for you: Printables, Bible Studies, Videos, Book Recommendations, Giant List of Blog Hop/Link Ups and more. Spend some time exploring the site.
Laura, the creator and host of Missional Women is married and has four kids, two of whom are adopted. Laura and her husband have been missionaries to college students for 11 years serving with Master Plan Ministries. Laura is the Staff Women's Development Coordinator and has discipled over 150 girls, led over 30 Bible studies and speaks 10-20 times a year. Laura is an award winning author of a 12 week Bible Study on First Samuel, Beholding Him, Becoming Missional, recently released Reach; How to Use Your Social Media Influence for the Glory of God, and A Devotional Journey through Judges, a devotional to accompany the free online Bible study at TheBookofJudges.com. You can find her on facebook,twitter, pinterest, youtube, instagram and her author site.
Want to read more from this contributor? Put her name in the search box at the top.
Sharing this article over at these awesome blogs
New here? Head on over to the Home page to see what we're all about.