Why Memorize Scripture?
There are three things that last forever, God, His Word and people. So, those things are a pretty big deal right? Well, here is what God says about His Word. He thinks pretty highly of it. Each of these things is taken from a specific verse.
God’s Word gives us freedom, strength, and purity, it leads us to obedience, produces fruit, gives us health, guidance, confidence, comfort, revival, understanding, discernment, insight, and restoration, it makes us wise, enlightens our eyes, warns us, leads us to trust God, motivates us to worship, gives us an eternal perspective, it is the best light for the past, present, and future, it reveals the origin, nature and purpose of man, it sets straight, clarifies right and wrong, directs, encourages, reveals God’s heart and handiwork, shows us what pleases Him, makes us complete, provides spiritual nourishment, teaches us patience, courage, perseverance and joy, it gives us hope, is the best marriage manual, teaches us how to forgive and how to be forgiven, how to find relief, how to love and be loved, it reveals God’s goodness and His justice, His standards and His mind, without it we are deceived, it keeps us from sin, it sanctifies us, gives us instruction, success, prosperity, it provides us with all our needs in the spiritual realm, reveals what is to be learned, taught and obeyed, gives us adequacy and makes us equipped for doing good, it convicts, and convinces, and is the standard by which we will be judged.
Examples of people who valued God's Word.
Jesus knew the word of God and was able to drive away Satan when tempted. Matt 4:1-11
King David clearly saw that knowing the word of God was the key to purity. Ps 119:9-11
Paul says that the word is a sword in your amour against the devil's schemes. Eph 6:13-18 and was able to reason with non-Christians because of a knowledge of the word. Acts 17:1-4
Other good reasons to memorize Scripture:
* We are told to be prepared to answer questions concerning our faith in Christ. (1Pet 3:15)
* Having the word in our hearts allows us to encourage and teach others. (Col 3:16; 2 Tim 2:14-17)
* Knowing and using the Word teaches us right from wrong.
* It can increase our ability to distinguish truth from error in doctrine
* It will help our prayer life (John 15:7)
* Knowing God's word allows us to study the Bible more effectively
*If we know the scriptures we can meditate on it anytime wherever we are. (Ps 119:97; Ps 16:7)
* What we put in our minds, transforms our heart. If we put trash in, we'll get trash coming out. If we put truth in, we'll get beauty coming out. (Rom 12:1-2)
New here? Head on over to the Home page to see what we're all about.
2 Free eBook for Subscribers