Is it just me to has the world gone a little mad this week? I’ve spent way too much time watching 24-hour news and scrolling through angry facebook posts, and all I want to do is have a good cry. How am I supposed to share the Gospel in this upside-down world where no one gets along?
This morning during my quiet time, I woke up remembered that there is nothing new under the sun. The Apostle Paul lived in violent times too, and he managed to press through the pandemonium to preach the Gospel and write half the New Testament. I need to put my big girl pants on and stop whining.
Paul stayed on mission. Wherever he was, in whatever environment, he determined to rise above the chaos to proclaim the Good News.
Let’s remember that Paul lived during crazy times – much more crazy than today. Paul stayed on mission with a mad man sitting on the Emperor’s throne. In AD 64, Nero burned down half of Rome, deflected the blame by targeting Christians, and burned many alive in retribution. During this time, Paul continued sharing the gospel while under house arrest. He lead countless lost souls to the saving knowledge of Jesus and wrote Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon while in captivity.
I found myself wishing I could sit down and have a heart to heart chat with Paul about how he would handle crazy weeks like this one. I went digging into the wisdom he shared with Timothy and found a little encouragement.
How to Stay on Mission in a World Gone Mad:
1. Fill up with Courage: This is not a time to be timid or silent. Right now, we need to be bold in sharing our faith. Jesus never avoided confrontation. He lovingly stepped toward the confused and pointed lost people to salvation.
"This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." (II Timothy 1:6-7, NLT)
2. Hold on to Truth: Remember your offensive weapon is the truth. In a world full of upside-down thinking, you must stand strong on the firm foundation of God's Word.
"Hold on to the pattern of wholesome teaching you learned from me—a pattern shaped by the faith and love that you have in Christ Jesus. Through the power of the Holy Spirit who lives within us, carefully guard the precious truth that has been entrusted to you." (II Timothy 1:13-14, NLT)
3. Speak up for Jesus: When people ask you for an opinion on a controversial subject, don't view the conversation as a ticking time bomb that might explode in your hands. Instead, view each interaction as an opportunity to help a dead person come back to life.
"So never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord. And don’t be ashamed of me, either, even though I’m in prison for him. With the strength God gives you, be ready to suffer with me for the sake of the Good News." (II Timothy 1:8, NLT)
And now Paul has passed the torch on to us. We are called to share the Gospel in this mixed up world. No one said it was going to be easy. But, God’s Word is never bound.
Maybe a world gone mad is the crucible where we are called to make Jesus known.
We exist to glorify God, to display His heart and character. And I just love how we are all uniquely built to do that. So every Friday I want to give you, uniquely designed by God, an opportunity to link up your thoughts on God, art, baking, photography, parenting, marriage, homeschooling, writing or blogging and more if they tie into or display the Lord somehow.
Here's how it works:
1. Link up as many blog posts as you want below by clicking the link below and following the prompts. (Perhaps think of old posts you want more exposure to as well as new ones.)
2. Let your readers know by including a link at the bottom of your post (or somewhere on your side bar) or paste our button code (found below and on the side bar).
3. Take a minute to visit and comment on another sweet lady or two's post. Your encouragement might be just what she needs to keep pressing on in being a voice in the darkness.
New here? Head on over to the Home page to see what we're all about.
I'm Laura the founder of Missional Women and this is my sweet friend, Lyli. We host a link up for bloggers every Friday and look forward to having you join us. But before you go, look around, we are here to glorify God and be a blessing to you.
Two Free eBooks for Subscribers:
Join 11,000+ others and enter your email for your FREE copies.