When I was in Junior High I went to a camp that encouraged us to have daily quiet times. They gave us a little campus journal devotional that had a verse and little commentary for each day. I learned a lot and began to crave God's Word more and more as I could see God changing my heart through it. I bought a couple study tools to help me learn God's Word, one of which was Halley's Bible Handbook. Between that and Henrietta Mears' What the Bible is All About book, a new passion began and God was shaping my heart to desire things He desired for my life.
So when the opportunity came about to review Halley's Study Bible through being a Bible Gateway Blogger Grid member, I was all in.
So the following is my honest review of the NIV Halley's Study Bible in exchange for a free copy.
Things I enjoy or appreciate
* The things said by Jesus are in red. That's always super helpful to me.
* Concordance in the back. This is great for when you can't quite remember where that verse is, but you remember a few words in the verse.
* Little nuggets of history. In blue boxes there are little blurbs about the history or culture of the time it was written. I've really appreciated the insights I've read so far.
* Parallel passages. Under each story that has the same story told in another book of the Bible, it lists where the other story is told.
* Color pictures. There are pictures throughout of things like a shepherd with his flock, a cedar tree, a model of the antonia fortress etc. It's helpful to see pictures of the thing being talked about.
* Study notes at the bottom of the page. I love these little notes in Bibles. It's like hearing someone else's wisdom about a verse I may have missed.
* The preface. They did a great job in the preface on helping to explain how the Bible is organized.
Everything is recorded!
One really fun aspect of this conference is getting to participate live with all the other attendees and speakers.
But as a busy mom with six young kids myself, I know that it's not always realistic to watch along live. So whether you miss one session - or all of them - you can watch later.
We record all the sessions (at NO extra charge) and you get them to watch anytime you need - even if that's in six months or in a year! I really want to make this conference as flexible as possible for you.
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |