Have you ever been at a place in your life where you really wanted to avoid the question, “So, what’s going on in your life right now?” Because your life is so chaotic that if you were to simply state, what’s going on, it would sound like a complaint session. When truthfully my chaos is a beautiful thing because it’s bringing about the amazing things I witness GOD doing around me.
That’s where my life is right now. When I consider all that I’m juggling it’s overwhelming.
I imagine it’s like going to the lake for a swim with a Guide. You’re so focused on the instruction from the Guide that you forget to pay attention to your surroundings. You look up and notice you’re out in the middle of the lake – no one knows you’re here except you and your Guide. It’s frightening! Then you suddenly realize “my Guide has been training me for this expedition for years,” and that’s exciting! “I’m out in the middle of a huge lake, I can’t see the other side, I have no idea what’s about to happen but He’s trained me, I’m equipped and I trust Him.” Well at least that’s how I feel most days.
Did you know that Satan is called the Great deceiver - the father of all lies? When I am surrendered to the journey, focused and intent on listening to my Guide’s voice - despite all the chaos and giant waves– I know He’s in control.
However, Satan is also known as a trickster. He finds you in your weakest areas, begins to whisper his lies into your ear, aiming to divert you from the goal, to take your focus off your guide, causing you to drown or to retreat. His lies take direct aim after your heart, your weakest areas – ehm…the areas you still struggle to obediently surrender to your Guide. I’m not sure what yours are but here are a few I’ve caught him whispering:
1. Insecurity – They’re thinking, assuming you did/said maliciously, they think you have the wrong motives.
2. Isolation – nobody understands, nobody cares and you’re all by yourself.
3. Self-Doubt - You’re not up for this. You can’t do this. What are you doing out here? You’re a joke, if they only knew…
4. Where do you think you’re swimming to? There’s no destination… You’re hoping in What?!?!
5. Is this the life that you daydreamed about when you were a child? Didn't you want more? Is this really what you wanted…?
1. Jeremiah 29:11 –I know the plans I have for you... Plans to prosper you…to give you a hope and a future.
2. Numbers 15:41 -I have been bought with a hefty price by a God who loves me with an everlasting, unconditional love – I trust HIM!
3. Matthew 14:22-32 - Peter was a screw-up too and Christ loved and used him radically. If I remain surrendered He will continue to use me.
4. Lamentations 3:21-24, 1 Peter 5:8-10
The lies – they don’t matter. What matters is what God says. Everything I do, I do it for the Lord, for His approval and praise alone.
My responsibility is to recognize lies as lies, run from them, not wallow in them. Bask in His truth. Swim this race in His name, not knowing what is to come but I’m going to trust Him with my future and live my today to boast in His name.
And my response to Lie Number 5:
But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. – Philippians 3:7-11
Melissa Bradley is married with two small children. She serves at a church plant in Hendersonville, NC. The passion of her heart is to live every day missionally. You can also find Melissa at Beautiful Mommy Feet, she and her husbands personal ministry page, a women’s ministry page -Radiance and on Facebook.
Sharing this article over at these awesome blogs.